Wednesday, July 7, 2010

U-pick!!

It's that time of year! Currently we are in peak picking season for most berries. I've gone picking with my 3-year old twice in the last two weeks. If you're unsure where to go, visit http://www.pickyourown.org/ and find a u-pick farm in your area.

Yesterday I went and picked strawberries, rhubarb, and blueberries at Sandy Farms for $1 per pound. I left spending $7 which equated to 3 lbs of strawberries, 3 lbs of blueberries, and 1 lb of rhubarb. I've compared prices at the grocery store and the comparison is shocking. At the stores, blueberries are about $3/lb minimum and rhubarb is over $2/lb. To save yourself some money, take some kids and go picking!

Last week I bought 11 lbs of strawberries and 7 lbs raspberries at, again, $1 PER POUND! SO CHEAP considering the price of most berries in the stores.

Wear close-toed shoes and long pants (if picking strawberries), and bring some water along with containers. Don't forget to have your containers weighed BEFORE you pick. The strawberries at that farm are HUGE and the blueberries are REALLY easy to pick. Next week, I'm picking more blueberries and pie cherries. By next week, they will also have marionberries, loganberries, more raspberries, and more!

An added perk? Somehow there are NO MOSQUITOS over there so I didn't get any bites. However, I did get several by walking out in my backyard to pick strawberries...

No comments:

Post a Comment